I left an 8 year marriage to start from scratch in 2008. I made many financial mistakes getting into and out of that relationship including marrying $60,000 worth of debt and not paying attention to countless red flags. I also learned some incredible lessons from paying that debt off in 2 years to thriving financially after the relationship ended.
I’m a firm believer that everything happens for a reason. We are only to pay attention.
You may be worried or heartbroken or both. You’re possibly kicking yourself either for not noticing the red flags in your relationship sooner or for not behaving differently somehow to save the relationship.
Stop that now. Stop blaming yourself for everything. It’s time to treat yourself with kindness, sweetheart!
One of the biggest worries for women after a breakup is financial. It is also the #1 reason we stay in toxic relationships much longer than we should.
Assuming you are newly or not-so-newly single…where do you go from here?
One of the most satisfying things you can do is take care of yourself financially. Nothing gives you inner strength quite like being the Hero of your own life. It’s not as hard as you think.
This the best time for reflection and figuring out who you really are and who you want to be.
There is nothing quite as sexy as a confident and vibrant woman who takes care of her own business.
Use this time as a gift to yourself. Your life is worth this effort. Nurture your financial well-being. Here are the reasons why:
1) Debt-Free and Worry-Free: Getting your financial house in order by eliminating debt is a big step to creating more space in your life. Just think of all the energy that gets wasted in worrying about money. This energy drains from your life in the form of guilt, shame, self-loathing, regret, fear, and anxiety.
It is time to clean house and let light in.
2) Freedom of choice: There is nothing quite like feeling in control of your money. It frees your mind and unleashes your creativity. The whole world opens up when your mind is free.
You will get more ideas. You will have the option to choose what you want to do and where you want to live…instead of having all your choices dominated by the lack of money.
Remember you are in the driver’s seat of your life. Turn the key and take charge.
3) Self-Worth: Although your self-worth has nothing to do with your net worth, your Net worth has everything to do with your self-worth. You will never have more money than you think you deserve.
Use this time for self-care and self-development. Believe in yourself and your abilities to achieve anything you desire. You are powerful beyond imagination. Take a chance of yourself! As you do this, money will flow into your life.
4) Princess to the rescue: You are the Hero you’ve been waiting for…Princess Charming. What do you wish for?
There is power in declaring what you want. Write down your top 3 goals for the next 6 months. Take one action toward each goal today…no matter how small the action.
Energy flows where attention goes! Do not depend on anyone for financial well-being, ever! This is how women give their power away to others. It is much sexier to desire a man than need him to take care of you financially.
5) Love life and be happy: Money can be fun. Really! Change how you think about it. It is a game. Play it with love and have fun. Enjoy earning money. Enjoy saving it. Spend consciously on what you love.
Make a list of things that make you happy and do at least one of those things daily. It could be being out in the sunshine, walk in the park, enjoying a cup of coffee with a friend, taking a yoga class.
Your relationship with money has its roots in your relationship with yourself. Improve one and you’ll improve the other.
BIO: Jessica is a Life & Freedom Coach. She is on a mission to help people live Rich and Happy lives. Sign up for free tips at www.jessicagill.me. Follow her on Twitter @_jessica_gill